Thursday, October 6, 2011

Non-Seared Sous Vide Chicken Breast with Pesto Sauce


Sous Vide Detailed: Cook chicken at 140F for 1 -2 hrs

Ingredients - Serves 4:
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 2T Basil
  • 8 Thyme twigs (or savory or oregano)

I think chicken is the most transformed dish with sous vide.  The texture is virtually indescribable!  It is buttery, moist and cuttable with a fork.  For this dish, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I seasoned with sea salt and pepper on both sides, popped them in a bag and added some rough chopped thyme and basil.  You can also use rosemary, savory and even oregano.  Don't use a lot since the bag magnifies the aromatics versus normal cooking techniques.  I cooked the chicken breasts at 140F for 1-2 hours.  While most literature recommends you "sear" the chicken breasts before serving, I actually like the "non-seared" look and texture so I don't sear, but feel free to fire up the grill and sear them to your liking!

I typically cook up to 6 breasts in separate bags and then quick chill them (in ice bath water or I just pop them in the freezer).  Then I can use them as I want and it makes a quick healthy meal.  I typically make different sauces (pesto, mushroom, etc..) which is fast and easy and creates a variety.  The texture of the chicken is like eating fillet minion!  The picture below is with pesto sauce (Click here for that recipe) and rough chopped basil (from my garden).




Top of Page

1 comments:

Cucina49 said...

Having never prepared anything sous vide, I appreciate that you're posting about it. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More