Thursday, October 6, 2011

Baby Back Pork Ribs



Sous Vide Details: 155F for 24-36 hrs

Ingredients - Serves 8-12:
  • 6 racks of pork baby back ribs (make sure you take the silver skin off the back if it isn't already off)
  • Your favorite BBQ sauce
  • Thai Sauce:
    • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
    • 1 T peeled, sliced garlic
    • 2 T chopped lemongrass
    • 1 cup soy sauce
    • 1/4 cup fish sauce
    • 2 T brown sugar
    • 3 T finely chopped ginger
    • 10 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
    • 1 t kosher salt
  • Aromatics:
    • 1 T Thyme
    • 1 T Rosemary
    • 1 T Orgeano

Here is another place where sous vide shines!  I've cooked BB Ribs may times, on the grill, in the oven, in a crock pot, in a smoker.  While some have come out very nicely, my experiences have been inconsistent to say the least.  Sometimes, they come out dry and chewy, sometimes mushy.  It was always hit or miss.

With sous vide, BB ribs come out incredible!  And every time incredible.  I've made them several times now with huge success!  the most important feature is that they are all "FALL OFF THEM BONE"!!!  I mean really fall off the bone.  You can control how much fall off the bone by the time AND temperature.  You can find many variations for time and temperature for BB ribs on the web.  Some say lower temperature and longer time (140F for 72 hrs), while others say medium temperature (155F for 24-36 hrs), while even others say higher temperature (176F for 8-12 hrs).  The higher temperatures guarantee the collagens and fiberous fats break down and render out, which is what makes them "fall off the bone".

I have settled on the mid temperature cooking technique (155F for 24-36hrs).  I bagged up to 6 racks of BB ribs, using different marinades for each of 2 racks a piece.  I didn't brine them as I don't think you need to with sous vide.

I did a BBQ sauce marinade for one.  Using whatever your favorite BBQ sauce.  I've found that the good store bought brands are equally as good as making it from scratch.  I know I should want to make it from scratch, but I love getting some hidden gem of a BBQ sauce brands!  Sur La Table has some good ones.

I did a Thai marinade for the second pair.  Mix all the ingredients in a sauce pan and heat on medium until sugar melts and a gaze consistency forms..

I did a simple aromatic marinade for the last pair.  Putting in thyme, rosemary and oregano herbs.

They all went into the Polyscience IC bath together and 30 hrs later, I took them all out and off to the grill I went.  I slathered some BBQ sauce on the BBQ sauce pair and seared all the racks on a high heat outdoor grill.  The results were incredible!  Truly fall off the bone and all wonderfully flavorful.  I made three little stacks on a large white plate.




Top of Page

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More