Sous Vide Details: Cook Ahi Tuna at 110F for 15 minutes
Ingredients, Serves 2:
- 2 Ahi Tuna steaks (fresh!)
- 1/3 cup fennel seeds (ground if you don't have a spice grinder)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds (ground if you don't have a spice grinder)
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns (again, ground if you don't have a spice grinder)
- 2 tablespoons grade seed oil
- Click here for the diced vegetable salad
Start with creating the fennel crust. If you have a spice grinder, you can get the seed version of the spices. If not, just get the ground versions. Mix the fennel, coriander and white peppercorns together and spread in a pan. Coat the Ahi Tuna steaks liberally on all sides and place in bag and seal. Pre-heat water bath to 110F and drop in the tuna. Cook for only 15 minutes.
When the tuna is done, heat the grade seed oil in a iron skillet on medium high heat. Remove the Tuna from the water bath and bag and pat dry with a paper towel. Place in skillet and sear for only 30 sec per side until you have a golden brown crust. Remove from the skillet and carefully slice with a sharp knife into thick slices.
To plate, I made a diced vegetable salad with a vinaigrette dressing and placed the ahi tuna slices on top. Serve it up!